How to live Hygge? You might say how to be happy?
* post may contain affiliate links – what does that mean?
What the heck is hygge and why you need it? Is it a drink?
Some kind of Swedish massage?
A fitness routine? Well, actually no to all of the above.
Erm…. It’s all about getting cozy. You know, cozy? Danish Hygge is….well, there really isn’t a direct translation in English.
Some folks say hygge is pronounced hue-guh not hoo-gah.
HYGGE living Is all about
- how to live a more fulfilling life
- how to live more healthy
- how to live a more simple life
This post is a tutorial on how to be happy and fit hygge into our lives for all seasons. The Danes certainly got it right, when they embrace living Hygge! In Denmark, bicycles are considered hygge, you can find cafes with Laundromats in them. I love this video from Visit Denmark!
This post will give you:
• A basic background of what it means to live hygge– a Hygge 101 if you like.
• You will read about many examples of hygge and why you probably already live hygge in your own life right now!
• Some great books, resources, and home décor items to help you get your hygge on.
• A great list of 30 Simple Ways for you to live hygge throughout the seasons – yep, all year long.
As a complete novice to this philosophy I’ll admit, this is what I think what living hygge is…
Hygge or hyggeligt to me means being in the present moment. With purpose.
It’s like simple living or living simply.
Feeling my dog’s heartbeat when he cuddles on my chest. Not absent mindedly petting him while I’m scrolling through my feed.
Hygge is holding hands with hubby while we watch our favorite team play hockey. (Go Leafs Go). It’s listening to a close friend tell you the same story again, but pretending you are just hearing it for the first time.
Hygge is sitting by yourself, with a favorite cup of tea, and writing in your journal. Hygge is the perfect antidote to when you are feeling overwhelmed.
Listening, really listening, without distraction to birdsong in the early hours of the morning while walking the dogs.
Or at night being amazed by the size of the moon.
When we are at the trailer, and it’s summer and the night is full of stars, I get my hygge on by laying back in a lounge chair and looking for the Big Dipper.
And any other dippers I might find along the way. That’s how I live hygge.
What’s the hype about hygge and why should you care?
Hygge is a state of mind. You don’t have to leave town. You don’t even need to leave your apartment!
Light some candles, get cozy with a book, maybe even take a nap! You don’t have to spend a lot of money to live hygge either.
Hosting a potluck, doing some baking, a cozy décor, and using things because they have value – not being superficial.
Like all of the art on our walls, makes me happy! It looks cluttered, but I couldn’t possibly part with one picture.
I think my blog is very hygge. Tons of food, with discussions on self care, and tips to be better organized. Pie is definitely hygge!
I challenge you not to feel happy when you’re presented with a piece of mouthwatering pie, like this Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie!
While you typically see ‘living hygge’ is very popular around Christmastime and during the winter, hygge is all around us no matter what time of year it is. We just need to
- stop what we’re doing
- unplug from our devices
- be mindful
How to hygge
There is even a delightful book called “The Little Book of Hygge Danish Secrets to Happy Living”! I’ve included a link below along with some of my all-time favorite books, and cozy things to help you get your hygge on:
Hygge is all about getting cozy and it’s not just lighting candles at home it’s about sharing your glow and feeling your happiness, by putting candles in the window!
So while we might like candles in the winter to be all cozy and indoors, in the summertime hygge is having a campfire with your very dearest friends
It’s when the neighbors drop by getting caught up on what’s been happening in your lives, talking about world events.
It’s going back in time and sharing funny stories. These are the things that bring joy and happiness to others, sometimes in a very small way will bring you hygge and that makes sense doesn’t it?
Giving always makes you feel so much better than always taking.
And when we’re at that campfire or potluck, or sitting around the table, I love to bring out one of my favorite recipes, like a freshly baked apple cobbler. I think sweets are completely hygge!
You can trade in your treadmill and get outdoors and commune with nature or take an extra-long walk with the dog – they’ll certainly enjoy it.
Hygge is going for a long walk and seeing the first signs of spring, watching those leaves budding and hearing the birds chirping after a long quiet winter it’s all about the joy of what the change of seasons – whatever that might mean to you – bring into our lives.
In North America it’s all about being hopeful that the warmer and longer days will be here soon. But also knowing that the cooler weather, and longer nights mean it’s time to rest.
Time to Hygge
Ok, so you’re convinced! You’ve gathered up some pillow, a cozy blanket, some sock and great books. You are READY! You really want to get some of this HYGGE and get it now! I’m going to get ‘hygge’ on this weekend, and here is why you should too!
30 Simple Ways to Live Hygge all year long
Hygge Home and Décor
1. Rustic candles in mason jars
2. Create a Hygge Living Room with Chunky wool throws and afghans (Take up knitting?)
3. Creamy white and neutral pillows piled on your bed to create a hygge sanctuary
4. Soft white candle pillars set around the house and in the windows – share the light!
Hygge at work
5. It’s pretty hard to cozy up a cubicle, but a soft shawl or sweater can help
6. Bring in some favorite photos of family, friends, the dog, and trips you love
7. Easy to care for plants like succulents bring some greenery and are very unassuming
8. Organize a potluck for your team, celebrate a milestone, or have birthday months
9. Make tea time an event every day, use a teapot and tray and include your cube mates with a plate of cookies
10. Longer days bring the gloaming, that soft evening glow between day and night
11. Strawberry Rhubarb Pie – a must for Spring!
12. Organize family activities, cleaning up the yard, hiking, birdwatching
13. Getting cozy, with the sunshine warming up the room, enjoying a cup of pu-erh tea with a great book.
14. Visit your local Libraries to enjoy hygge and get caught up on the latest bestsellers
See our expanded list for Spring Hygge at 7 Simple Ways to Live Hygge in Spring and our 7 day Spring Hygge Challenge!
More Hygge Cozy-ness
16. Campfires, toasting marshmallows, sing-alongs
18. A hammock underneath a huge shade tree, with a cool drink and a great book
19. After working all afternoon doing yard work, a refreshing dip in the pool or lake nearby
20. Ice cream cones on a hot day, when it melts so fast you can’t keep up
21. Butter tarts that having ooey gooey syrupy centers, running up your arm after the first bite.
22. Catch fireflies at night with the kids and put them in jars.
23. Light, warmth, and friendship – making life warm and cozy.
24. Family Celebrations, like Thanksgiving
25. Visiting the local orchards to pick the new crop of apples
26. Turning those apples into delicious pies or muffins
27. Turn on the lamps in the late afternoon to give your home a cozy glow
28. Bright red rain boots make splashing in puddles so much more fun!
29. Chunky knit blankets and sweaters. Cozy socks in front of a roaring fire.
30. Warm chocolate-y drinks mulled or spiced wine. Homemade cookies, muffins or breads.
It must be said that winter is high season to live hygge in Denmark, especially in December.
Christmas holidays that include get-togethers in homes, local pubs, and cafes, with lots of laughing, warm drinks and sweets.
A particular favorite sweet that the Danes love are Danish Pastries (surprise!)
So now you’re all set. You have a complete list of 30 ways on how to practice hygge in your life, including recipes, cozy blankets and socks, fun outdoor activities, and lots of ideas to JUST BE.
Have a wonderful HYGGE life.
Your Hygge Planner!
Create your own hygge magic with this printable planner!