Homemade Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe from scratch.
You know up until a few months ago, I always used the lemon pie filling mixes, thinking that I couldn’t possibly find the time, or have the patience to make this delightful recipe. Boy was I wrong!This Homemade Lemon Meringue Pie recipe is so easy you will never use a lemon pie filling mix again!Click To Tweet
And the difference in flavour is amazing! There are lots of great recipes out there too – I also like one that I found in Canadian Living Magazine!
This Homemade Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe is so easy — you will become a Pie Baking Rock Star!
– 1 – 9″ pie shell – prepared and baked shortcrust pastry
– 3 egg yolks
– 1 ½ cups sugar
– 1/3 cup cornstarch plus 1 tbsp.
– 1 ½ cups water
– 3 tbsp. butter
– 2 tsp. lemon peel grated
– 1 cup lemon juice freshly squeezed,about 3 – 4 large lemons
– 3 egg whites
– 6 tbsp. sugar
– 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Juice 3-4 large fresh lemons and put some of the peel aside to make lemon zest.
The first tip to making a lovely creamy lemon meringue pie is that you have to stay with it and keep stirring at the stove!
And the second if not equally important tip is to mix a small amount of the hot filling into the beaten eggs first, and stir rapidly- – the last thing you want are lemony scrambled eggs and have to start all over again.
And that’s it!
My recipe for piecrust is so easy – you can get the recipe at The Best Homemade Piecrust Recipe or you can use a ready made pie shell from the grocer – if you wish, just make sure you bake it first. Another tip to lighten up the calorie load is to use a graham cracker pie crust. No baking required when you use a ready made crust!
- 1 9" pie shell One prepared and baked shortcrust pastry
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch plus 1 tbsp.
- 1 ½ cup water
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 2 tsp. lemon peel grated
- 1 cup lemon juice freshly squeezed,about 3 - 4 large lemons
- 3 egg whites
- 6 tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- In small bowl, beat egg yolks with whisk. Set aside
- *Tip: chill bowl and beaters in the refrigerator until you are ready to make the meringue.
- In 2-quart saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch;
- gradually stir in water.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Immediately stir at least half of hot mixture into egg yolks;
- stir back into hot mixture in saucepan.
- Boil and stir 2 minutes; remove from heat.
- Stir in butter, lemon peel, lemon juice.
- Pour into pie crust.
- Set the pie aside on the counter to cool.
- In medium bowl, beat egg whites with electric mixer on high speed until foamy.
- Beat in sugar, a little at a time; continue beating until stiff and glossy.
- Peaks will form when ready.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Spoon onto pie filling.
- Spread over filling, carefully sealing meringue to edge of crust.
- Bake 8 to 12 minutes at 350F/180C or until meringue is light brown.
- Cool, then serve or cover in a pie box and put in the refrigerator