Fun Gummy Worm Treats you can make with your kids.
I love baking with children. They are so inquisitive, have boundless energy and it gives me a chance to share my passion with them. I first started with my oldest grandson, Nathan. We would make pancakes together when he came for a sleepover. Then that graduated to other recipes. He’s 20 now, and I’m hopeful he still knows how to make pancakes!
These Gummy Worm Treats are so easy and fun to make. You don’t even have to turn the stove on! Just microwave everything and mix it up. The fun part happens when it’s time to mix things up, add some chocolate or sugary candies, like gummy worms!
You can keep all of the ingredients for gummy worm treats on hand in your pantry, for when that day arrives.
You know that day? When the kids (or grandkids) are laying around, and the dreaded comment “I’m bored” is spoken every 5 minutes?
Now I know you might be thinking, “I don’t have time for this.” But if I could gently suggest that you take the time – it really is only a few minutes, the memories you will help to create will last forever. I still remember the first gingerbread house I made with my daughter Kris. She decorated it with pink and purple candies! She was so proud and to this day, makes gingerbread houses with her two younger children every year.
Making the rice krispie squares will probably need some assistance from Mom or Dad, Grandma or Grandpa – but then I usually just let the kids go when it comes to decorating. On this gummy worm treats recipe, I smooth a package of melted chocolate chips on top. You know, you really can never have too much chocolate. LOL. If Gummy Worms aren’t a favorite, then by all means, add other special treats – the possibilities are endless.
Take some pictures and share too. I would love to see the marvelous creations that result!
- 13 X 9 baking pan
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- 5 cups mini marshmallows
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups of gummy worms in assorted colors
- chocolate bits to add optional - I used mini peanut butter cups!
- Grease the 13 X 9 pan
- Spread the mini peanut butter cups on the bottom of the pan
- In a microwavable bowl, heat the butter and marshmallows on high for 1 minute
- Take it out and stir and reheat if necessary until both are melted
- Transfer the mixture to a very large mixing bowl
- Stir in the crispy rice cereal until it is all coated
- Spread the mixture into the pan until the chocolate covered bottom is coated and make sure you push it into the corners
- In a medium microwave safe bowl, place the chocolate chips and microwave on high for 1 minute
- Stir well to make sure the chocolate is completely melted
- Spread all over the top of the crispy cereal treats mixture
- Let cool
- Bring on the gummy worms!
- Let the kids place whichever way they want
- Cover the treats and set aside until firm
- Cut into squares and enjoy!