Easy Nanaimo Bars Recipe – the Ultimate No-Bake Chocolate Pie!
A perfect no bake chocolate pie that looks gorgeous, you can make ahead of time and keep in the fridge or freeze! How perfect is that?
Where do Nanaimo Bars come from? Well, Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada in about 1953 and we’ve been in love with them ever since. This delicious concoction of chocolate, coconut, walnuts and butter cream is often served up in Diners and Coffee Shops everywhere to enjoy with that special latte. Potlucks are another popular event where Nanaimo Bars will make an appearance!
Just thinking about biting into that chocolate glaze, and creamy butter frosting, well my mouth is watering!
I love the ease of cookie bar recipes too, but this time I wanted to make a very fancy dessert, and topped this one with some delicious dark and white chocolate treats!
We’re having some of our family over for brunch tomorrow. I’m serving this easy Nanaimo Bars recipe will be served as an elegant chocolate pie! Just in time for National Pie Day!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 squares semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 tbsp butter softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla or mint extract
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups sifted icing sugar
- 2 - 2 1/2 tbsp warm cream or whole milk
- 2 squares of semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 tbsp butter melted
- Butter or Grease a 9" pie plate
- Melt butter and chocolate in a saucepan over hot water
- Remove from heat and stir in sugar, vanilla, egg, rolled oats, coconut and walnuts
- Press mixture into a 9" greased pie plate
- Cover and chill while mixing the next step.
- Mix softened butter, vanilla, and salt until smooth and creamy
- Blend in icing sugar alternatively with the cream until everything is blended and the icing is very smooth and spreading consistency.
- Chill the frosting while getting the Topping ready.
- Melt semi-sweet chocolate and butter, stir until smooth
- Spread the Icing evenly over the Base Mixture.
- Smooth with a spatula
- Spread the Topping over the Icing.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve (at least 2 hours)