A sweet, crunchy biscotti that will rival anything you can get at the bakery! We love the golden color and the crunch of sliced almonds. The easy part? The base for this recipe is a cake mix! That’s right!
Our other easy cake mix recipe is the classic Pineapple Upside Down Cake, everyone loves it!
Cake Mix Biscotti!
Mark and I just returned from a glorious 14 day vacation to Italy. It truly was the trip of a lifetime. Florence, Rome, Tuscany with so many wonderful places in between! One of the highlights of the trip? An outdoor concert featuring Andrea Bocelli in his home town of Lajotica. The concert was really outdoors in a huge field, but the sound, underneath the stars, in Italy? Well I’m sure you get the idea.
Another highlight of our trip was Cantucci Toscani – Italian Almond Biscotti! We developed a real passion for these delicious little cookies. Ok, it was close to obsession. By the time we were ready to leave our last location, the beautiful Castello del Nero in Tavernelle val di Pesa – we were hooked! They were bringing us two bowls at a time. 🙂
I was determined I would have to learn to make biscotti when we returned home. By the way, if you ever want to visit the most romantic and luxurious hotel spa in Tuscany, the Castello del Nero is it! We would go back in a heartbeat! An amazing facility, excellent staff and customer service and well the food makes you think you are in Heaven. Yes, it’s that good.
I found several recipes for our Cake Mix Biscotti, including one from Eataly. But I haven’t made it yet.
Pie Lady Bakes is all about easy dessert recipes, and while whipping up the biscotti dough takes relatively little time, I wanted to see what would happen when I used a cake mix for the base of our Cake Mix Biscotti!
A yellow cake mix, plus delicious raw unsalted almonds, butter and vanilla. Save a little time, enjoy the convenience of a cake mix and still have that exquisite crunchy vanilla flavour. And voila! Cake Mix Biscotti was born.
Mixing up the ingredients, I found the dough to be a bit sticky. I made sure my board and hands were well floured! But these amazing Cake Mix Biscotti baked up like a dream, and my family raved about them at a recent Brunch we had together. And they all went home with little bags of biscotti! Of course I kept a few back for us! So here is my Cake Mix Biscotti recipe just for you. And if you don’t have time to print out the recipe right now, why not Pin It for later?
- 1 18 oz Yellow Cake Mix 18 oz/432 gYellow Cake Mix
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 4 large eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup almonds whole, raw
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Pour the cake mix into a mixing bowl. Stir in sifted all purpose flour.
- Make a well in the centre and add the eggs, margarine and vanilla extract.
- With an electric beater mix on medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes until the dough does not stick to the sides of the mixing bowl. It will look and feel like play dough!
- On a lightly floured board, divide dough into two halves.
- Roll each half into a log about 1" in diameter.
- Roll each log gently to the edge of the board and then continue rolling it onto a lightly sprayed 11” x 15” baking sheet.
- Flatten the top of each cookie log until it is about 3" wide.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 and do not turn off.
- Gently slide one cookie log onto the board that you rolled out the dough on.
- Using a serrated knife or better still an electric carving knife, slice each log across the width into 3/4" slices.
- Place cookies cut side down back onto the baking sheet and return them to the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Remove cookies to cooling rack to cool completely.
The crispy and hard crunch of a biscotti comes from double baking. In this recipe 20 minutes, slice and then bake another 10 minutes. These are so easy to make!
For more easy dessert recipes, be sure to check out our Recipe Gallery!
Easy Family Recipes
We all love EASY right?
These recipes will put a smile on everyone's faces!
Just click that big button to get our latest content by email.